Special Thanks to Albert Pittis for sharing this drawing of the Princeton University Campus which he received from the artist, Richard S. Snedeker '51 who had this version printed especially for the 65th Reunion of the Class of '51. The comments below the map are from Mr. Snedeker's original letter of transmission to Mr. Pittis.
This aerial drawing of the Princeton University campus was done in 1952 by Richard S. Snedeker [RSS] while working for the Princeton University Press. As a major in Aeronautical Engineering he had been hired in the summer of 1951 as an editor and graphic artist to work specifically on the publishing project called "High Speed Aerodynamics and Jet Propulsion." The series of volumes eventually numbered twelve and took six years to publish. It became a major reference work in the field. Snedeker was not only the illustrator, but also the copy editor and soon became the Associate Editor of the whole series. During his time working on the series he also did the illustrations for many other books published by the Press and also created the Princeton map of which this is the most unusual part. The paper edition of the map also includes street maps of both Princeton Borough and Township, as well as the Forrestal Research center, which had just been opened. The street maps were drawn by RSS using copies of municipal engineering maps as the basis. The lettering was done by gluing patches of printed lettering to the original map. This was the customary way of doing it in those days. The map sold on newsstands in Princeton for 50 cents. It was the first street map of Princeton to have ever been available to the public.
The aerial drawing of the campus is unique. There has never been another one done like this, and at the time it was done in 1952 there were no known aerial photographs of the campus to use as a guide. Although there were some aerial photographs of various parts of the campus and some buildings, there was nothing that was of any help in creating the desired unified view of the entire campus from the same direction. All the building were drawn in ink from hand-drawn sketches, with the help of some ground-level photographs taken by RSS. He also used sketches obtained by going to the roofs of some nearby buildings where possible. The drawing is an application of the linear perspective technique. The basis was a campus flat map that showed the "footprint" outline of all the buildings. This was viewed from above at an angle that allowed all the buildings to show in perspective in a rectangular area that fit the desired size. Then each building was drawn with pen and ink. The stippled areas were added to suggest pathways and roads.
A later version of the campus drawing was published by the Press in 1964 as part of a new guide book: "Thew Princeton University Campus: A Guide." It shows buildings that were added after 1952.
WHO ARE THESE HANDSOME YOUNG PRINCETONIANS?
Can you identify these gentlemen, and perhaps when and where this photo was taken? [Photo supplied by George Towner, August 2013]
American Cemetery Visitor Center
Coke Florance '52, Architect